Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What's the best process for paint repair on aluminum parts?

I have a front wheel hub that had several finger nail size paint chips on it. It's a Spinnery Xaero hub and it appears to be bad prep work at the factory. They're out of warranty so I need to touch them up myself. I'd like to use a brush not spray. After I clean the light corrosion off with light sanding what is the best process (and paint) to prep %26amp; paint so this will not chip again?What's the best process for paint repair on aluminum parts?
After the light sanding, wipe the area to be painted with a lint-free rag soaked in naptha or mineral spirits. This will get any oil off the metal.


You should look at a hobby shop for some oil based paint in a very small bottle. Make sure it's oil based and not acrylic.


You might want to use a work-light with a 75 watt bulb to heat the hub for a few minutes before painting, that way there won't be any moisture condensing on the part.


I have found that using a lamp bulb to heat the metal makes the paint more scratch resistant.





PS-I've never heard of Spinnery Xaero. Do you mean this :


http://www.spinergy.com/Bicycle/xaerolit鈥?/a>


?

No comments:

Post a Comment