Saturday, March 13, 2010

What shade of yellow should I paint my great room?

We have a large great room with Cathedrial ceilings, it actual blends right into the kitchen and we are planning on painting it yellow. But I can't decide which shade. I want it to look classic calm and warm but it seems each shade I think looks that way ends up being to bright. Any suggestions? Should I go more blue more red more green to get the best shade of yellow for what I'm wanting? HELP!!What shade of yellow should I paint my great room?
Former professional painter here. Whatever color you choose will reflect off of itself. Choose a paler yellow because it will look more yellow when the entire room is painted. Not blue--that will give a green tint, red will give orange. White will cut some of the brightness and a touch of black will tone it down. And BTW--at least years ago, Sherwin Williams paint sucked the big one. Olympic is a better choice. Even Glidden beats Sherwin Williams.What shade of yellow should I paint my great room?
Thank you Vini Vidi Vici for your help!

Report Abuse



Thank you, my dear.

Report Abuse



i know it sounds weird but if it is too bright go lighter. a real lite lemon (pastel ) it will look fresh, clean and sunny. good luck.
Yellow! Yak!





IF YOU MUST USE YELLOW USE: 6693 - Lily





You don't have to stick to the carded colours. You can say 50% whatever and they'll simply put half the tint in.
Our living room is Squish-Squash by Benjamin Moore. It's a warm yellow, no too pale or too bright. You could get a paint chip and have Sherwin Williams match it.
Try to go with a pale yellow. I am sure Sherwin Williams will have some type of swatches or I do know that at Home Depot they have a computer screen that you can compare colors. Like I said I would go with a very pale yellow. Maybe you can mix some white in with the yellow to make it the color you want. GOOD LUCK!!!
Your great room should be in a warm tone and your kitchen faces the south which would call for a cooler tone, but since you do not have a lot of light there, I would consider it to be the same as a northern room. And, since your great room is the larger area, I would base my decision on that.





I think that the optimistic yellow is too bright even if it showed as a mustard.


I think the Lemon Chiffon is a little too light.


I think the Lily is too light.





Consider the following:


Sunbeam yellow #0078 or the Preservation yellow #0030.





I like the Solaria and the Benjamin Moore Dijon #193 also.


And yellows are difficult colors to find the right one.





Sherwin Williams has a low VOC and you also do not have to go by what the painter typically uses. It is your home.





You can order some larger samples, get three large ones of each to give you a good idea. Look at them several times a day for a couple of days. Especially in the time of day that you will be using the room the most.





You can also paint a white foam core board a couple of coats and leave it around and move it to different areas.





What colors are in your countertop and in your furniture fabric.


Picture the whole thing together. Yes, once your furniture and artwork is in place, everything will be fine.
Just visited the site, I think that Solaria looks best to fit your needs, I have a yellow family room and my kitchen is also yellow (Benjamin Moore- Dijon). The family room seemed bright at first because it was literally just yellow walls, but once you put up pictures, art, add in your furniture it breaks it up and seems less bright. Also in my experience if your room gets Southern light use cooler colours, so a yellow with cool under tones and for North facing natural light warm colours look best.

15 comments:


  1. I think you have the best understanding of blogs.Do help me
    Here's my site Check it out and give suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to read your blog posts.Keep posting that amazing stuff.
    I am also trying to follow your footsteps
    Here's my site

    ReplyDelete
  3. its nice to be here.keep posting such content
    click here

    ReplyDelete

  4. maybe you have to enter some more info but not bad. Nice work
    Keep improving it.
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see this beatiful information!
    Please more infomation

    ReplyDelete
  6. its nice to be here.keep posting such content
    click here

    ReplyDelete
  7. very good information given by your blog.
    thanks! see more

    ReplyDelete
  8. very good information given by your blog.
    thanks! see more

    ReplyDelete

  9. its nice to be here.keep posting such content
    for more info

    ReplyDelete
  10. its nice to be here.keep posting such content
    click here

    ReplyDelete
  11. very good information given by your blog.
    thanks! see more

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing.You are always an inspiration.
    you always make a blast on your blog with new posts! visit our website

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for every other informative blog. The place
    else may just I am getting that kind of information written in such a perfect way.
    check click here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks a lot for sharing that article with your audience.
    see more..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why are you winning our heart when ever you post a new content
    it's beyond amazing
    click here

    ReplyDelete