Saturday, March 13, 2010

What's the best color to paint the walls of a home theatre?

The room is 16X26 with 11 foot ceilings. We were thinking of a purple with black trim. The ceiling is vaulted so should I paint it the same as the walls? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!What's the best color to paint the walls of a home theatre?
Everyone I know has a darker ceiling.


Deep purple walls %26amp; black ceiling.


Try calling a home theatre place to find what colors would be best.What's the best color to paint the walls of a home theatre?
sounds good...or dark dark read....like the curtains in an old theatre.
I think it sounds great.. with the exception of the ceiling.... i would go a shade or 2 lighter in the same colour, or you might ';loose'; your ceiling.





Best of Luck
That sounds like an excellent choice!


I think that I would paint a dark color if I use it only for viewing.


If the room is going to be used for other purposes, I would consider a lighter color!
As an avid home theater buff, my first reaction is that the acoustics of your theater will be terrible! I recommend that you place diffusers on the walls and potentially on the ceiling to prevent sound reflections. Particularly the back wall.


You can get help with your acoustics at http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Acousti鈥?/a>





The colors you have chosen for the walls are good - the darker the better. The Ceiling can be a lighter color to give the room some contrast as long as the ceiling is not in the sight lines to the screen. Be sure to use flat paints to reduce reflectivity.





I painted my walls Hancock Grey from Benjamin Moore, which is a dark grey/green. We used Dorset Gold also from BM on the ceiling. The gold is a color that we used in the hallway leading to the theater, so it provided a smooth transition into the large room.





Good luck!
I would use flat or eggshell paint so you get as little reflection as possible. (It's also usually cheaper!) Diffusers work well also. Fabric panels for the walls would be even better so you don't get sound deflection. If this is out of your budget you can just paint for now and add panels as your budget allows.
Dark colors are probably best. I suggest a Forest green if you like green, Burgundy if you like reds, or a navy blue if you like blue. Trim each color with a black and it will look great. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment